21 January 2012

Remodelling an old plot: how many bricks?

Been a very blustery day today with the odd shower, never-the-less I was on the plot at 09:30 and left at 15:00. I did get some warm sunny spells so it was not all bad, However, my main mission for the day was a physical workout shifting concrete, brick and soil in an effort to make a bit of wasted space usable. Now I thought there was a lot of materials to shift but when I started digging I got loads of bricks. Was tweeting all day, so check out the pile I got. I used these bricks for paths and edging.


Loads of bricks

Loads of concrete


Got most of it done, just needs a good levelling off, digging in some manure and the compost bin finishing off. Very please though! Back is a bit stiff so having a beer!

Take a look at the results - before:

Old small beds

Concrete paths

Not much growing space

And now after (not quite finished though!)

New slimline paths

A whole bed 

Compost bay on right to finish

Recycled bricks

4 comments:

Rooko said...

It's looking good Ben. I've been turning manure in this week.
Lost count @ 180 bricks?

Ben Scoble said...

Yes, sooo many bricks - trying to find as many uses as I can. Normally use them for paths.

Cheers for the read Rooko.

Margaret said...

Must have been really hard work, you did well. Plenty more growing space for you.

Ben Scoble said...

Thanks Margaret, a good bit of hard labour was what I needed at this time of year to keep the wind and rain from defeating me. The new space is going to be very useful.