11 March 2012

March madness

Been a top warm and spring-like day today. Got down to the allotment early to do lots of sowing. Unfortunately, had to re-sow (for the 3rd time) the broad beans. Seems I have a mouse that really really really likes broad beans. This time I have covered them with plastic and with the peas they are under glass. Can't wait till they invent a portable force field!.

Last of the broads sown under plastic punnets

Peas (Kelvedon Wonder) under glass


On the theme of over protection, I put fleece on my cages ready for the brassicas. I planted out some cauliflowers I had over wintering in the greenhouse - they are in a small polytunnel and under netting!

Cauliflowers planted out under plastic AND netting
Fleece cages for cabbages

Netted area for Carrots and polytunnel for Parsnips (sow later)

For a bit on an experiment I planted out my overwintering peas - it will be a warm week so I hope they do OK and get established and not get attacked by birds!? Also planted out the garlic. Oh and the broad beans (Bunyard's Exhibition) I planted back in Oct/Nov are doing great!


Feltham First Peas 

Garlic outside
2/3rd of broad bean survived the winter


The lettuce outside and in my greenhouse is doing well - and my radishes have sprouted outside.

Lettuce outside

Radishes up
Greenhouse lettuce

Other jobs done included sowing spring earlies like cabbage and peas - here are some photos!

Outdoor Girl & Beef Tomatoes sown

Japanese spinach up

10am in greenhouse

Spring onions, leeks and onion sets now outisde

Connected greenhouse roof to water collection system

Chives all growing well

Herb border springing back to life

Red current bush buds

3 comments:

Stacy said...

things are looking good love your herb section. i do so love a good herb!

Rooko said...

Nice looking greenary showing. Have you tried dipping your Broad Beans/Peas in paraffin before sowing, keeps the mice & slugs away but maybe its no politiacally correct these days??

Ben Scoble said...

Cheers Rooko and Stacy heard paraffin would work. I was hoping I would be lucky with sowing. Hopefully will come through now. Everything getting green now. Happy allotmenting.