25 February 2012

Spring has sprung

It has been a lovely sunny and warm day at around 12°C. Been busy sorting out my water butts, moving them about and creating feeds from one barrel to another. My biggest project was to construct a water collection area over my new green waste bin. This I did using some old corrugated plastic I had knocking about. I  constructed a gutter and a pipe feed using an old pop bottle.

In respect to the amount of water I can collect now, I would guess it is around 1,500 litres. However, I could always do with more so am on the hunt for more water butts.

Did some sowing, sowed carrots, radish and spinach. For the carrots I also erected a fleece wall around the carrot bin, I really really hope that I do not get carrot fly this year.

Here are some photos!

Greenhouse lettuce

Greenhouse lettuce

Spinach

Garlic

New water butt siphon

Water collection area

New water storage

Lettuce outside under a cloche
Sowed Radish

Carrot bin fleece

Carrot bin

5 comments:

Liam Stubbs said...

Patrick would like some of those carrots when they've grown!

Rooko said...

Good idea with the roof over the waste bin, then Ben? Are you keeping the fleece around the carrot bins permanently as a protection against Carrot Fly

Ben Scoble said...

@Rooko, the roof over the compost bin is removable so that's good and should give me some much needed extra water. I will be keeping the fleece around the carrot bin all year - never manged to get decent carrots because of carrot fly...let's hope it works!!!

Anonymous said...

Got an old waterbutt needs the tap fixing and there's the problem of transport to your world..

Anonymous said...

BTW.. Anon was Amb's nan Jean :-)