16 December 2011

I've Joined the RSPB

Great tit on my plot
Got a phone call from the RSPB today asking if I would like to become a member. I didn't want to do the membership enrolment over the phone, so instead did it online.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/

Allotment Wildlife

I always try to consider the wildlife on my plot and so make sure I do things that are of benefit to them, for example:

  • I don't use slug pellets
  • I put out wild bird food
  • I have weeds and plant some wildlife friendly plants (e.g. Buddleia, Nettles or Bramble)
  • I have some untidy areas with grass, old wood and rotting stuff
  • I have put a bird box
  • I have made a pond and a drinking area for birds
  • I have rats, ok I don't like them but don't poison them either and keep them restricted to the bottom of the plot through careful practices (e.g. shed protection and compost / seeds storage)
  • I have a fox and hedgehogs that visits regularly
  • I use barrier protect for crops, e.g. netting, polytunnels or don't mind a bit of damage

Wild birds



Siskin (source: RSPB)
Let's hope all this effort will pay off next year with more birds, bees and wildlife, especially:
  • Bluetit
  • Bullfinch
  • Goldfinch
  • Siskin

No comments: